Monday, June 7, 2010

Back to the classroom: A fun challenge


Next week, I will be back in a classroom, in earnest. My first challenge is a workshop for teachers about on line and interactive learning environments. I have ONE HOUR to support some thinking around this description:



Online and Interactive Learning
In today's society, greater demands are being placed on education systems at all levels to produce citizens who can use knowledge in new domains and different situations. Students at every level are being asked to demonstrate advanced levels of problem-solving skills and be proficient in online learning environments.

I didn't write that, but there is the charge. So there seems to be two levels to this task, understanding what is meant by "advanced problem solving skills" and also, explore the idea of online learning environments, all the while considering the umbrella of creativity and innovation. I think of social networking as the most meaningful online learning environment. I think I will encourage teachers to imagine how social networking (synchronous and asynchronous communications) could increase a students ability to be creative, innovative.

Oh, and did I mention that all of this is meant to be focused on current brain research? I kind of have my hands full, but I am excited! More to come soon, I hope.






No comments: