Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Resolutions and School Finance


(I wonder how many people out there resolve to blog more frequently? This year I am going to try to post something on every school day. This semester that will be more about my graduate work in educational leadership.)

Today is the dawn of my second semester here in New York. The first two classes are: Finance, and Group Dynamics.

I have always felt, in some backwards way, that focusing on the finance of a school is somehow apart from focusing on the "real work" in schools. In my mind, there was always some sort of disconnect between the work of paying for the education and the education itself. Even in the first assignment of reading (mostly from Affordability and Demand) it is clear that those two endevors must go hand in hand. This fall I observed a great independent school business officer in action. I am looking forward to changing my perspective about money in schools.

No comments: