Left HNL today to spend a week outside Seattle on Bainbridge Island where I will be working with a great group of educators on preparing classes for this fall's launch of the Global Online Academy.
We have the big challenge of working to design instruction that takes the best of what we do at our schools and translates that to an on-line environment. I think that one of the greatest strengths of independent schools are the communities of learners that we cultivate, and the strong personal relationships that are forged which both encourage and facilitate enduring learning. So how are we going to translate that into an on-line environment in which we may never meet our students face to face?
Some of the answers to this major question will come from a commitment to engaging student voice and student creation in our courses. There are many, many, excellent sources of information-- content delivery-- on the internet (Khan Academy, iTunes U, etc). Where GOA has the potential to be unique, and truly innovative, is in fostering the relationships that allow for learning beyond the gates of our schools, in a truly global and on-line environment.
I'm excited to see what the baby steps we will be taking tomorrow, as a group, to work on this project. I know that we have just three (and a bit) days together, so we will have to go from baby steps to running pretty quickly. I am going to spend the rest of my evening polishing the goals and outline of my course thanks to a great template provided by Ms. Darcy Iams.

No comments:
Post a Comment