Friday, July 2, 2010

Some Questions: Too much tech?


Today in the faculty cafeteria someone asked me if I was working for IT this summer. Um, not even close. On my best day, I couldn't do a tiny fraction of the things that the folks in the IT department do before their morning break. I am not a technician, I am a teacher. But because my role intersects with technology in terms of how it can help in the classroom, I've been spending some time thinking about the following questions. I am supported in my thinking by some fantastic and thoughtful colleagues as we work together to untangle our roles and how we can best support student learning at our school.

Are we over focused on technology? Where is the tipping point? Is it when we talk about the technology and not the teaching and learning, that we know things have gone astray?
If you know how to use all the fancy tools and toys, but you can't explain how student learning is impacted by the presence of the tools in the classroom then are we still headed in the right direction? Is the tech too much of a "If you build it they will come" element of schools? It is the 21st century chicken and egg bit-- how do you balance the need to expose teachers to tools, and getting them in their hands to a play with them, with the idea that use of technology in the classroom should be born out of a goal to make things better, not just flashier.

Here are some of the big questions for my summer thinking. Any thoughts?

No comments: